Sat, Oct 12|
Tarpoon Lagoon Dive Center
🇺🇸 Rex Bear Tec Dive
Join us for this technical dive on the Rex Bear out of Miami, max depth 204ft / 73m (https://www.wreckwiki.com/wreck/Augie-Ferignno-%2F-Rex-Bear)
Time & Location
Oct 12, 2019, 8:00 AM
Tarpoon Lagoon Dive Center, 300 Alton Rd #110, Miami Beach, FL 33139, USA
About the event
- Launch: April 4, 1956, at the Elmshorn, Germany shipyard of Kremer Sohn
- 1990, Rex Bear arrived in Miami from Haiti, and squatted along the Miami River for over seven years.
- After efforts from local and state agencies failed to motivate representatives for the Costa Rican company that owned the derelict vessel to move the Rex Bear, which was basically a hazard, the U S. Coast Guard began levying steep fines to illicit the desired response.
- The derelict vessel was ultimately donated to a local sport fishing group for use as an artificial reef.
- Simon (1965 - Norwegian)
- Ramsland (1975 - Norway)
- God is Good
- Rex Bear (Costa Rica)
- Augie Ferrigno (Divesite Name)
On June 16, 1998, the Rex Bear was sunk as an artificial reef four and a half miles south of Government Cut in memory of a local fishing tackle supplier named Augie Ferrigno. The Rex Bear now sits upright and intact off Miami.